Can laugh well: Donald Trump had to agree to “a comparison with himself”. Image: keystone
May 21, 2026, 04:36May 21, 2026, 04:36
November 2020: Charles E. Littlejohn sends the tax data of thousands of US citizens to the New York Times and ProRepublica. This also includes details about Donald Trump’s tax burden. The young man had access to sensitive data as a “contractor” for the Federal Tax Authority (IRS) and collected it between 2018 and 2020.
January 2024: Charles E. Littlejohn is sentenced to five years in prison for leaking the tax records. The judges argue that he stole the data and passed it on unlawfully. In a similar case in the 1970s (involving Richard Nixon), the whistleblower escaped without charges.
January 2026: US President Donald Trump is suing the IRS as a private individual. His sons Donald Jr. and Eric are also in the prosecution boat – and the Trump Organization. Together they want compensation of ten billion dollars.
May 18, 2026: The Department of Justice (DOJ) publishes a nine-page order. This shows that Donald Trump (as a private individual) and the IRS have agreed to a settlement. The DOJ commits to setting up a $1.8 billion fund, but Trump drops his lawsuit against the IRS.
The construct called the “Anti-Instrumentalization Fund” is intended to compensate people who were victims of the instrumentalization (“weaponization”) of law enforcement during Joe Biden’s presidential years.
In the USA, it has previously been common practice for the Justice Department to work independently of presidential influences. During his first term in office, Donald Trump tried to turn the agency into his personal law firm. Political opponents were prosecuted – or threatened. Trump has now achieved this during his second term in office.
“The president is at the head of the executive branch. If he now sues an arm of the executive branch [die IRS]”He’s basically suing himself,” says long-time Justice Department employee Stacey Young, explaining the situation told CNN. When Trump filed the lawsuit, he told reporters that he would be able to “reach an agreement with himself.” The result of this soliloquy is now a fund worth $1.8 billion.
If private citizen Trump sues President Trump’s office and a settlement for 1.8 billion is reached within just one month, then it’s no longer normal.
Democrat Chuck Schumer.Image: keystone
“Corrupt” and “bribes for Trump allies” Democrat Chuck Schumer calls the deal. Liz Oyer goes one step further CBS News. For the lawyer, it is “the greatest abuse of the justice system in history.” Oyer was in charge of pardons at the DOJ for years. The NGO “Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics” in Washington makes a similar statement: it is “the most brazen case of self-interest in the history of the presidency.”
May 19, 2026: An addition is made to the DOJ’s nine-page letter. In it, the IRS undertakes not to file claims for back taxes against Trump, his family members and their companies.
The new head of the DOJ and thus Minister of Justice has been Todd Blanche since April 2nd. He inherited the fired Pam Bondi. Blanche was Donald Trump’s long-time private lawyer and represented him in the 2024 criminal trial in New York over hush money payments to porn actress Stormy Daniels.
Trump was found guilty on all charges at the time. His less successful lawyer was nevertheless rewarded with the position of Minister of Justice.
The IRS is an agency of the Treasury Department, which is headed by Trump friend Scott Bessent.
The chaotic people who were there when the Capitol was stormed are also likely to benefit from the fund. Over 1,500 cases were brought to court in the matter. Over 1,000 participants were convicted – 700 of whom spent at least a short time behind bars. Trump pardoned over 1,500 of the accused.
These people can now look forward to a lot of money – paid for by taxpayers’ money. Jenny Cudd, a familiar face of the Capitol stormers, said she was sure that all of the “J6ers” [Teilnehmer der Unruhen am 6. Januar im und vor dem Capitol] would demand compensation. Trump’s message to his supporters is not very subtle: Anyone who rages in his name, breaks the rules and becomes a criminal can expect not only a pardon, but also a hefty payoff.
Who receives money from the fund based on which criteria – and who does not – is subject to the judgment of a five-member committee. People are appointed by the Minister of Justice. There is no transparency. The committee decrees loudly CBS News about absolute discretion. It is also unclear when the first money will be transferred.
CBS speculates, however, that it is “very likely” that Trump’s most important allies and allies will get a chance early on. Trump’s former advisor Michael Caputo was the first to demand $2.7 million. Against Caputo ran in connection with the Russian interference in the 2016 elections an investigation.
Vice President JD Vance suggested that Tina Peters be included in the windfall. The 70-year-old served as election officer in the Mesa County, Colorado district. As such, she had cameras that were used to monitor voting machines turned off. She then used an employee’s badge to give former surfing professional and QAnon supporter Conan Hayes access to the machines. Hayes copied sensitive data from the devices and filmed a software update. Film and data later ended up on a conspiracy site and Peters behind bars.
All funds should have changed hands by December 2028. One month before the new president will start the clean-up work in January 2029.