Son of fashion chain Mango founder arrested over father’s murder

EuroActiv

The son of the Mango founder Isak Andic, who died in a fall from a cliff near Barcelona two years ago, has been arrested on suspicion of his father’s murder.

Jonathan Andic, 45, was arrested on Tuesday on suspicion of homicide and is due in court later.

His 71-year-old father died after falling more than 100 metres (328ft) while hiking with members of his family in the Montserrat caves near Barcelona in December 2024.

A spokesman for the Mossos d’Esquadra, the Catalan regional police, said: “I can confirm the detention of Jonathan Andic on suspicion of the homicide of his father, Isak Andic.”

Isak Andic (left), Kate Moss and Terry Richardson attend the Mango collection launch in Paris on May 17 2011 (Getty)

Andic is expected to appear before the courthouse in Martorell, a city near Barcelona where he will be questioned by a judge.

Last year, the family issued a statement in which it said it was confident his son Jonathan was innocent after several local media reported he was being officially investigated.

It said it “will continue to cooperate, as it has done until now, with the competent authorities. Furthermore, it trusts that this process will be concluded as soon as possible and that it will prove Jonathan Andic’s innocence”.

Seen as a rival of Zara founder Amancio Ortega, the Istanbul-born businessman Andic moved to Catalonia in northeastern Spain in the 1960s and founded Mango in 1984.

At the time of his death he was non-executive chairman of the fashion brand and worth $4.5 billion, according to Forbes.

Seen as a rival of Zara founder Amancio Ortega, the Istanbul-born businessman Andic moved to Catalonia in northeastern Spain in the 1960s and founded Mango in 1984 (AP2011)

Jonathan Andic has always denied any responsibility for his father’s death and said he suffered an accidental fall while they were hiking together at a popular tourist spot.

The original investigation into the death of the Mango founder was closed in January 2025 after a judge said there was no evidence of wrongdoing.

However, it was later reopened and police examined the mobile telephone of Jonathan Andic and his sisters Judith and Sarah Andic.

More follows