White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt speaks to reporters in the White House press room on February 18, 2026Image: keystone
February 18, 2026, 10:20 p.mFebruary 18, 2026, 10:20 p.m
According to the White House, Iran would be well advised to conclude a deal with the USA. When asked about US President Donald Trump’s considerations about possible military action against Iran, government spokeswoman Karoline Leavitt said there were many arguments that could be made in favor of an attack on Iran. At the same time, she also reiterated that diplomacy was always Trump’s first choice. It would be “very wise” for Iran to make an agreement with the US President, Leavitt said.
There was a second round of negotiations between the USA and Iran in Geneva on Tuesday. Iran then dampened hopes of a quick breakthrough. Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi told state television that the path to an agreement had begun. US government circles said that progress had been made, but that there were still many details to be clarified. A senior government official said the Iranian side would return in the next two weeks with “detailed proposals to resolve some of the outstanding differences between our positions.”
The controversial nuclear program
The negotiations include, among other things, Iran’s controversial nuclear program. The USA wants to prevent the leadership in Tehran from acquiring nuclear weapons. Iran’s government says it is willing to limit its nuclear program, but in return demands the lifting of tough economic sanctions. Tehran has so far ruled out other topics such as limiting its missile program.
The talks took place against the backdrop of a military threat from the USA: In January, Iran’s state apparatus brutally suppressed mass protests in its own country. Trump then threatened the Iranian leadership with intervention and increased the military presence around Iran. The USA has now sent a second aircraft carrier to the region. (sda/dpa)