Iran’s negotiating chief Mohammed Bagher Ghalibaf (r.) with Pakistani army chief Asim Munir. Image: keystone
Iran’s chief negotiator Mohammed Bagher Ghalibaf has sharply warned Donald Trump against another attack on Iran. Meanwhile, the US President is provoking on social media.
“If Trump commits another stupidity and starts a new war, the counterattack by the Iranian armed forces will be even more devastating for the US,” Ghalibaf said in a meeting with Pakistan’s army chief Asim Munir.
He emphasized that Iran would continue to pursue the diplomatic path “wisely and decisively”. However, this does not mean that Tehran will give up the rights of the Iranian people in favor of an agreement, said the negotiating chief, according to state broadcaster Irib.
Trump provokes
Meanwhile, Trump is provoking on the social media platform “Truth Social” with a photo in which Iran is marked with the US flag. The description of the image says: “United States of the Middle East?”
Image: Truth Social
Negotiation efforts continue
At the same time, efforts to persuade the warring parties to reach peace continue. Pakistani army chief Asim Munir held political talks with the Iranian leadership in Tehran on Friday. In the evening, according to the state broadcaster Irib, he met with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi for an exchange.
Details of the content were not disclosed, but the conversation is said to have lasted until after midnight. Munir also wants to meet with President Massoud Peseschkian and Parliament Speaker Mohammed Bagher Ghalibaf.
On Friday, Pakistani security circles told the German Press Agency that Munir was on his way to discuss the draft agreement between the USA and Iran. There had been optimism in Pakistani security circles that a preliminary agreement between the US and Iran was within reach.
(ome with material from the sda)