The dispute between the USA and Cuba threatens to escalate. Statements by the US President and his Foreign Minister indicate this.
May 22, 2026, 08:01May 22, 2026, 08:01
Martin Küper / t-online
US President Donald Trump has his threats against Cuba tightened. When asked by a reporter about the conflict with the Caribbean country, Trump said in the White House on Thursday: “Other presidents have thought about whether they should do something for 50 or 60 years. And it looks like I’ll be the one to do it. I would definitely be happy.” Trump left open what exactly he meant, as the AP news agency reports.
The US is increasing its rhetoric towards Cuba.Image: keystone
Trump also left unanswered a question about the aircraft carrier USS Nimitz, which, according to previously unconfirmed reports, was released on Wednesday Caribbean should have arrived – i.e. within reach of Cuba. Trump now said about the communist-ruled island state: “They have no electricity. You don’t have any money. Actually, they have nothing. But we will help them out.”
Rubio: Little chance of agreement with Cuba
With the last statement, Trump may have been referring to aid deliveries worth 100 million US dollarsthe Washington Cuba offers. The aid should include food and medicine, but according to US Secretary of State Marco Rubio it would have to be distributed by the Catholic Church or aid organizations. Rubio wants to prevent the money from going to the Cuban military holding company Gaesa, which controls large parts of the island’s economy.
The USS Nimitz is said to have arrived in the Caribbean.Image: keystone
Rubio also increased the pressure on the government in Havana on Thursday. He currently sees little chance of a diplomatic agreement between his country and Cuba. President Trump’s preference is always to negotiate an agreement, Rubio said before his trip to a meeting of NATO foreign ministers in Sweden. “The likelihood of that happening is not high given the people we’re dealing with right now,” he added.
China sharply criticizes US pressure on Cuba
It was only on Wednesday that the US government fueled the conflict with Cuba by expelling the former head of state Raul Castro charged with murder. The background is the death of four US citizens when two US civilian aircraft were shot down in 1996. An organization founded by Cuban exiles wanted to use the Cessnas that took off from Miami to save Cubans who were trying to escape across the sea. Raúl Castro, the brother of long-time President Fidel Castro, was defense minister at the time. The USA therefore blame him for the deaths of their four citizens.
The USA is suing Raúl Castro.Image: keystone
China has now sharply criticized the US indictment against Castro and called for an end to the threats against the Caribbean island. “The US side should stop punishing Cuba with sanctions and legal measures, and not threaten violence at every opportunity,” Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Guo Jiakun told reporters on Thursday. China strongly supports Cuba to safeguard its national sovereignty and national dignity and rejects external interference, he added.
Cuba is suffering from a massive energy crisis
The indictment has led to speculation that Trump may be planning a similar operation in Cuba as he did in January Venezuela. At that time, US armed forces arrested Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro in Caracas on Trump’s orders and kidnapped him to the USA, where the former head of state is now awaiting trial for alleged “drug terrorism”. On Wednesday, however, Trump reassured and said he was not planning any further such action: “There will be no escalation,” said Trump.
Cuba has been in a massive economic and energy crisis for months. After Maduro was overthrown in January, the USA ensured that Venezuela, Cuba’s most important oil supplier, stopped its deliveries. At the end of January, Trump threatened countries that supply oil to Cuba with additional US punitive tariffs.
In Havana there are power outages lasting more than 19 hours every day, and in several provinces the power outages even last for days. Public transport in the island state is restricted and petrol has been rationed. Several airlines no longer fly to the Caribbean island due to the fuel shortage there.