The USA reduces its troops in Europe to pre-war levels. (symbol image)Image: AP
May 20, 2026, 07:46May 20, 2026, 07:46
According to the US Department of Defense, the planned reduction of US troops in Europe also affects NATO ally Poland – but only temporarily. The USA is reducing the number of its combat brigades (BCT) in Europe from four to three, bringing it back to the level of 2021, as Sean Parnell, chief spokesman for the Pentagon, announced on X. “This results in a temporary delay in the deployment of US forces to Poland, which is an exemplary US ally.” He did not provide further details about the schedule.
There had previously been confusion about the stationing of US troops in Poland: Last week, the Wall Street Journal, citing a Pentagon official, reported that the US stopped sending a combat brigade of 4,000 soldiers. It was actually expected that the soldiers would be stationed in Poland for a nine-month deployment.
Pentagon: Deployment is subject to further review
On Tuesday, Poland’s Defense Minister Wladyslaw Kosiniak-Kamysz said his US counterpart Pete Hegseth had confirmed that the US commitment to Poland’s security was not changing. US Vice President JD Vance also said it was a normal delay in a rotation.
The Pentagon spokesman, however, said that the deployment of the troops would be dependent on a comprehensive review. Central to this are the challenges faced by the USA, but also the ability of European allies to contribute their own armed forces.
The Pentagon remains in close coordination with Poland and will provide further details at a later date. “Poland has demonstrated both the ability and determination to defend itself,” wrote Parnell. “Other NATO allies should follow this example.” (nil/sda/dpa)