Feb 21, 2026, 9:04 p.mFebruary 21, 2026, 9:05 p.m
Donald Trump suffered a severe defeat at the end of the week: The US Supreme Court ruled that a large part of Trump’s tariffs are illegal – and thus caused great anger for the US President.
Guy Parmelin’s economic department confirms that Switzerland wants to continue negotiating with the USA.Image: keystone
While the American left is happy about the verdict, there is one thing above all abroad: it is unclear what will happen next in the customs dispute. Because the issue is not off the table: On Friday, Trump initially announced global tariffs of 10 percent, on Saturday it was 15 percent again.
Again Daily Gazette Now writes, this new back and forth doesn’t change anything for the Federal Council. So he wants to continue negotiating with the USA.
Federal President Guy Parmelin’s economic department told the newspaper that the consequences of this court decision had already been discussed during the consultation on the negotiating mandate in December. At that time, neither the foreign policy commissions of Parliament nor the cantons demanded that the negotiations be stopped in the event of such a ruling by the Supreme Court.
The Department of Economic Affairs writes to the Tagesanzeiger that “we continue to rely on the requirements and mandate of the mandate.” Current developments should be taken into account. But the goal remains the same as before: a legally binding agreement that is intended to guarantee stability – “regardless of legal and political developments in the USA”.
This decision by the Federal Council is politically controversial. Skepticism is particularly high among left-wing politicians. “Switzerland must now immediately break off negotiations for a deal with Trump,” wrote Green Party leader Lisa Mazzone on the Bluesky platform on Friday after the Supreme Court ruling. “Anything else would be another goal for Switzerland.”
Green Party leader Lisa Mazzone calls for a halt to negotiations.Image: keystone
On the civil side, however, people agree with the Federal Council’s approach. Breaking off negotiations would be “irresponsible,” Center National Councilor Elisabeth Schneider-Schneiter told the Tagesanzeiger. Instead, you should “keep a cool head and get the best out of it.” FDP National Councilor Hans-Peter Portmann and SVP National Councilor Franz Grüter also spoke out in favor of further negotiations.
The exchange between Switzerland and the USA will continue at the beginning of the week. The Swiss parliamentarians will then hold talks in Washington with members of the US Congress and with a representative from the office of US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer. The program also includes discussions with business associations and representatives of Swiss companies in the USA. (dab)