Feb 21, 2026, 5:17 p.mFeb 21, 2026, 5:51 p.m
Donald Trump has announced that he will increase his additional global tariffs to 15 percent. The US President announced this on Truth Social. Trump wrote that he made this decision based on “a thorough, detailed and complete review” of the ruling by the Supreme Court.
US President Donald Trump has announced new tariff plans.Image: www.imago-images.de
The Supreme Court ruled on Friday that most of Trump’s tariffs on numerous countries were illegal. It argued that Trump exceeded his authority when he invoked emergency law to impose extensive tariffs on dozens of trading partners.
In his new post, Trump once again railed against this ruling. This is “ridiculous, poorly worded and extremely extra-American,” said the US President.
Trump had already announced on Friday that he wanted to introduce a basic tariff of 10 percent for international trading partners as a result of the Supreme Court ruling. The newly mentioned 15 percent should not be the end of the discussion either. Trump said on Truth Social that he wanted to “set the new and legally permissible tariffs” in the next few months.
According to the US government, the new tariffs will initially apply for 150 days. There should be exceptions for certain goods such as critical raw materials, energy and fertilizers.
The basis for Trump’s new tariffs is the so-called Trade Act of 1974. This allows the US President to impose tariffs of up to 15 percent if there are “major and serious” balance of payments difficulties. There are no procedural hurdles. (dab)
More coming soon…