02/21/2026, 08:4202/21/2026, 09:44
The former Prince Andrew, who fell deeply in the Epstein scandal, could now also lose his place in the British throne. The United Kingdom government is considering passing a law that could remove Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor from the hereditary monarchy’s list once police complete their investigation into the brother of King Charles III, according to British media reports. has completed. Despite losing his title last year, the former Duke of York remains eighth in line to the throne.
Prince AndrewImage: sda
British Secretary of State for Defense Luke Pollard described the potential step on the BBC as appropriate, regardless of the outcome of the investigation. The government has been working with Buckingham Palace on plans to prevent the ex-prince from being “potentially just a heartbeat away from the throne”. Treasury Secretary James Murray told Sky News: “The government is examining what further steps might be necessary and we are not ruling anything out.”
The Times quoted a Buckingham Palace source as saying that removing Andrew from the line of succession was “a matter purely for Parliament” and that they would “never obstruct it or defy the will of Parliament.”
The British King Charles III. (77) had said about the arrest of his brother Andrew: “Let me be clear: the law must take its course.”
Poll: Majority considers Andrew to be intolerable as heir to the throne
A YouGov poll cited by Sky News found that 82 percent of Britons support removing Andrew’s status as potential heir to the throne. Only 6 percent were against it, 12 percent said they had no opinion.
To rule out Andrew ever becoming king, a law would have to be passed by Parliament to change the line of succession. In Great Britain, laws are passed in the upper and lower houses and finally signed by the monarch. Changes to the succession to the throne would also have to be approved by the other 14 Commonwealth states such as Australia and Canada, to which Charles III. presides as king. Charles’ son William (43) holds first place in the line of succession, ahead of his son Prince George (12).
Investigations are expanding
On Friday, the Metropolitan Police announced it was expanding its investigation into Andrew and interviewing his former bodyguards. Current and former officials who worked closely with Andrew would be contacted.
Because of his connection to US sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, the 66-year-old was stripped of all important titles and military honors. Andrew had to move out of his property on the grounds of Windsor Castle – and was even temporarily arrested on Thursday. In the evening he was released after around eleven hours, pending further investigation. So far, the brother of Charles III. did not comment on the events. Andrew has always denied previous allegations of sexual offenses in connection with the Epstein scandal.
Andrew was the first time a senior member of the royal family had been arrested in more than 350 years. At that time, King Charles I was accused of treason during the Civil War. (sda/dpa)