November 28, 2025, 6:16 p.mNovember 28, 2025, 6:16 p.m
In October, several pieces of jewelry were stolen from the Louvre in Paris. (archive image)Image: keystone
After the spectacular art robbery at the Louvre in Paris, all four alleged main perpetrators, who drove up to the famous museum in a truck with a lift, are behind bars. Paris prosecutor Laure Beccuau said an investigation had also been initiated against the alleged fourth perpetrator, who was arrested on Tuesday, for gang-related robbery and membership in a criminal organization. The 39-year-old should be taken into custody like his three suspected accomplices who were previously caught.
The alleged fourth perpetrator has already been convicted six times and was most recently convicted of serious pimping in 2023. The public prosecutor’s office said he was also known to the judiciary for receiving stolen goods.
Another man and two women who were also arrested on Tuesday were released because there is currently nothing against them. The investigation continued to find the stolen jewelry and also to determine the role of each gang member and clarify the circumstances under which the theft was prepared and committed.
The lightning strike made international headlines. The masked people parked a truck with a lift next to the museum. While two of the perpetrators waited on scooters on the street, the other two used the lift to reach a balcony on the first floor and from there through a window into the museum. There the perpetrators stole eight valuable pieces of jewelry belonging to former queens and empresses from the display cases and escaped on motorcycles. The value of the loot is estimated at 88 million euros. (sda/dpa)