May 24, 2026, 7:02 p.mMay 24, 2026, 7:02 p.m
A Ukrainian firefighter after the Russian attack on Kyiv on Sunday.Image: keystone
After the massive Russian air strikes against the capital Kiev, Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andriy Sybiha called on the international community to provide a “strong response to the aggressor”. According to a statement on Platform X, the minister requested an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council and a meeting of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE).
Sybiha accused Russia of wanting to compensate for the lack of military progress on the battlefield in the war of aggression against Ukraine with last night’s “barbaric rocket attack”.
At least two people were killed in Kyiv alone. According to Mayor Vitali Klitschko, the number of injured rose to 81 by early evening. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyj said on social networks that around 100 people were injured in the attacks in the country and at least four were killed.
Government buildings were also damaged
According to authorities, government buildings were also damaged in the attacks, including the Foreign Ministry and the Cabinet building. However, there were no injuries on the non-working Sunday. According to Ukrainian media, a house where President Zelensky has an apartment was also damaged.
“Putin is trying to intimidate Ukraine by attacking civilians and destroying residential buildings, museums, schools and critical infrastructure,” said Foreign Minister Sybiha. The Kremlin leader is also trying to do this by firing medium-range missiles at peaceful cities. Russia had previously confirmed the use of its new Oreshnik missile, which was feared because of its destructive power.
The international community must react, said Sybiha. “We urge our partners to take decisive multilateral measures to deter Russia and move it towards a comprehensive, just and lasting peace,” emphasized the minister. (sda/dpa)